Sunday, July 6, 2008

Try something new today....

So your family feels like pizza for dinner. You call up your favorite pizza joint and have it delivered - right?

Not us. Two reasons.
  1. We live in the country and there aren't any pizza places that deliver to us.

  2. I have discovered the joy and yumminess of making my own!

In my previous 30 years of life I had never knew anyone who made their own pizza. Until I met my friend Anita and my husband's Uncle Ted. Who knew you could make your own and it could taste as good if not better than delivery?

I started out trying various combinations of dough and sauce. But I have settled on our favorites. The best thing is you can search for your favorite flavors as well! And I think this is a great meal to engage your children and have them help. This list is everything I used on today's pie - feel free to try your own.



  • fresh pizza dough (by deli) - (I used wheat)

  • Francesco Rinaldi tomato, onion, garlic sauce

  • mozzarella cheese


  • toppings (sweet italian sausage, canned mushrooms)


  • parmesan garlic spice mix



Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out your dough on a floured surface and place on baking sheet. Use a fork to poke holes all along the inside of the dough, leaving a rim around the outside edge. Generously sprinkle with parmesan garlic spice mix. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes (depending on how crispy you like your crust). Take pizza out of the oven and lower temperature to 350 degrees. Spread an even layer of sauce and then top with mozzarella cheese. Place cooked sausage and mushrooms on next and bake until cheese is melted. Enjoy!

2 comments:

The Stewart Stuff said...

We don't have delivery here either! We'll have to try that. Thanks for the fun recipes you share!!!

Mariana said...

We dont have delivery either, but that here in The NEtherlands is normal. I make our pizzas but make the dough, the tomato sauce..everything myself. My family comes from Italy and buying canned/bottled tomato sauce is almost the same as sacrilege! hahahah very simple tomato sauce, cheaper and...home made!
But yes, you are right... making it yourself...much better.