Sunday, July 6, 2008

Tools of the trade...

Until you use something every day you don't realize how important it is.

I use my scissors in nearly every step of the design process. First, after I prewash any new fabric purchase it comes back with tons of long frayed strings. I trim them and then iron to make a nice stack of fabric. I cut out the size of fabric and heat n bond that I need for my applique. I hand cut the shape of the applique, whether it be my dinsoaur or any letters. I also use my scissors for cutting thread when stitching and even on my packaging for the bow.
I started using whatever scissors I had in the house. I quickly realized that I would need something more comfortable and sharp. I think the next pair I bought was 5 or 6 dollars! And I thought that was alot. Those became quite dull and would drag when cutting fabric after a couple of months. So then I broke down and bought a Wescott pair for $10! And I thought I was being extravagent. Well the next time I was at Joann's I checked out the scissors because I saw a sale sign. Wow! There were some fancy Gingher scissors for more than $30!! Can a scissor be that great?


Do you think it would be silly to ask for scissors for Christmas?
:)




1 comment:

Cathi said...

Absolutely ask for them. I have two pairs of Gingher and I love them. My favorite is a fancy pair :) with a gold piece that holds them shut. They're spring loaded and I have easily cut 6 fabric layers thick without any effort. They were my Mother’s Day gift.