Tuesday, June 3, 2008

You have to be there...

Today I am feeling slightly frustrated. I want to be with Paul as much I possibly can be. But I also miss Alayna when I am not with her and feel torn. Add in the 1.5 hour drive to and from Boston and I am missing so much of the happenings at the hospital. The doctors seem to come around whenever I am not there and I am lost as far as understanding what they have done and what they are going to do lately.

The last couple of days Paul has received two transfusions of blood, one of plasma, and one of platelets. He was scheduled for more chemo tonight but they are postponing it a day to see if his levels rise. From what Paul has told me his body is attacking the new blood going in. The doctors told him this happens sometimes and it is not necessarily worrisome. Of course I worry about everything that is going on down there because I wasn't able to hear it first hand. Tomorrow I plan on talking to Dr. Wadleigh to see how I can be in the loop when I can't be there.

Overall, Paul is doing well. His nausea is under control with medication so he is able to eat and hasn't lost much more weight. He has the beginnings of the mouth blisters but they are not bothering him yet. And everyday he walks around the pod and in the stairwells. He is catching up on some reading and just resting. His blood pressure has never been so low.

We are being shown some very generous acts of kindness that is really helping to ease our minds and let us concentrate on getting Paul better. Thank you Chris & Lynda for taking care of our dogs, Hannah and Buttercup. Thank you to Heather for watching Alayna for me a couple of days last week. And Heather's dad just mowed our lawn and did some weedwacking! Thank you! We just received a lovely gift basket from Anita and her family. And there have been many inquiries to test to be a match for bone marrow for Paul. My memory is horrible lately and if I have not mentioned someone I am so sorry! Just one big thank you to our friends and family for being there for us. : )

Love,
Amanda, Paul, & Alayna


2 comments:

Jodi @ Happy House Quilts said...

I hate that you are all going through this...i convoed you at etsy. You are all in my prayers during this sucky time. I am trying really hard through my cancer to find the gifts in it...not sure if you are spiritual...but there are gifts in everything God gives us. I really believe that. Blessings, Jodi

The Stewart Stuff said...

I hope you do find a way to be up to speed with Paul's Dr.s when you are away! That must be so hard on you! I'm so sorry!

I'm so glad people have been so helpful. I wish I were close so I could help with Alayna! Let me know if there is anything I can do from Arizona!!! Love ya tons!

Jen