Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Can't sleep...

It's Paul's first night home and all three of us are having trouble sleeping. Paul is hopped up on his steroids he has to take and they forgot to give him a prescription for a sleep aid. He only has to take them for the next couple of days though. Paul was able to come home with just a few restrictions but he is still very weak and gets winded easily. This is a nice little break we get together at home before going in for his transplant.

Today a visiting nurse will be coming to our house to check on Paul's PICC line and to show me how to flush it. Then I have to go and pick up the rest of his meds from the pharmacy as I cleaned out what they had yesterday.

And then I am left with the decision of what to have for my birthday dinner. So far I am thinking my all time favorite - Olive Garden. I was just remembering that we received a gift card to Olive Garden from our friends Heather and Coy. Heather dropped it off on Friday, May 23rd, in the afternoon. She and I were talking about how Paul was not feeling his usual self and had just called in sick to work for his next trip. It is really odd - but I can recall everything that happened that day. All the way up until the doctor called back at 10:30 that night after his appointment to tell him to go to the hospital. My memory has been really poor over the last couple of years, but the clarity of that day is still there.

My favorite poem seems quite fitting.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,

Her hardest hue to hold.

Her early leaf's a flower;

But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

So Eden sank to grief,

So dawn goes down to day.

Nothing gold can stay.

~ Robert Frost


1 comment:

The Stewart Stuff said...

I love that poem. How fitting! I'm sure the memories of that day will last forever! It's just a reminder to hold your love one's a little tighter!!!

I love Olive Garden, too! Enjoy it and Happy Birthday!!!