Thursday, August 21, 2008

Try Something New Today - Green Chile

Today I am longing for family and home.




I'm from New Mexico and my parents and most of my family still live there. When I think of NM I think of the food. I grew up with green and red chile. While I didn't particularly enjoy eating it when I was younger I have come to appreciate it more and more. Living in New Mexico you find chile everywhere. You eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The common question when you go out to eat is - red or green? If you like them both - it's Christmas. You can even find a green chile hamburger at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants. During Fall you can smell the chile roasting in the air. The local Smith's grocery store sells them by the burlap bag full and they have giant roaster's out front with flames lapping away.


Unfortunately New Hampshire isn't known for it's overabundance of chile. When my parents make a trip out this way they pack a large cooler full of dried red chile, frozen roasted green chile, and tamales. (Thanks Mom!) But if we run out 3 or 4 months later then we just have to wait and salivate until they come again.




So I decided to buy some green chiles at my supermarket and roast them at home. There is a process to follow.






I was in the mood for green chile meatloaf and canned wasn't going to cut it. Sadly the chile greatly lacked in the heat and flavor department.


Green Chile Meatloaf


1 pound ground beef
1/2 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 Hatch green chiles roasted, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce (I used v8)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
2 eggs
1 cups bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine ground beef, onions, garlic, chile, cheese, thyme, eggs, bread crumbs and season liberally with salt and pepper. Mix by hand until mixture is combined. Form into loaf on lightly oiled shallow baking pan. Brush outside of loaf with ketchup and brown sugar. Bake in oven until just cooked through (about 40 minutes). Remove and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.


I served this with some roasted garlic and onion potato wedges. Dinner was good - but could've been better with some flavorful New Mexican green chile.

If you are like me, and don't live near NM - order some of your own up here.

8 comments:

The Stewart Stuff said...

Oh, I wish I liked chile! I live in the perfect place to find it. Sorry!

moxylyn said...

This post made me sooo hungry. Very cool that you can get chile at McDonalds.

Jane Grafton said...

Great post...thanks for the recipe. My husband is from CA so he loves chile!

Kylie Bowers said...

Oh yum thatrecipe looks fantastic!

Juli said...

great blog and the chile meatloaf sounds pretty darn good too :)

Tins and Treasures said...

This looks so yummy! We ate leftovers tonight!!

Leah said...

Oh my, that meatloaf sounds divine!!

I shall have to try it out!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! Meatloaf is one of my favorite dishes and your recipe looks phenomenal.