Sunday, September 7, 2008

Home cookin'

I know I already said goodbye to summer, but...



I am so sorry I haven't had an update on Try Something New Today. I actually haven't been cooking too much lately. My mom is visiting so we have all enjoyed her home cooking. Tonight was red chile enchiladas! drool...

__________________________________

Although, I do have something to share. It is still in the beginning stages but in a few months I hope to have some homemade vanilla extract. It is super easy! All you need is some sort of seal able bottle, vodka, and Madagascar vanilla beans. I purchased my beans through this Ebay shop. You can buy the bottles here or here or here. The vodka doesn't need to be any kind of fancy brand. At my local liquor shop they have lower shelf vodkas and then top shelf vodkas. Grab something in the middle. Slice the vanilla beans in the middle lenghtwise and put into the bottle. Fill with vodka. Done! For the large bottle that I had I put in 8 vanilla beans. You need to store it in a cool, dark place for up to 4 months. Every once in a while invert the bottle to let it mix.





Here is a really great site with more information all about vanilla!

1 comment:

The Stewart Stuff said...

I bet that Vanilla will taste delicious! It looks pretty, too! Thanks for the instructions!